Feeding & Nutrition Tips
Healthy Hints & Resources
Here are a few simple ways to include fruits and veggies in your meals and baked goods without losing taste.
- Use pumpkin, prune, peach or apricot puree in place of fat when baking breads/loaves, muffins and cupcakes. This will keep food moist while adding nutrients and flavor!
- Try to bake using whole wheat flour or experiment with other flours like spelt and oat. The bags usually have recipes on the back.
- Add nuts, raisins or other dried fruit such as peach, pear and apple to salads or baked items to add fiber and nutrients.
- Grate veggies such as carrots and zucchini and add to muffins and breads. Kids usually don’t notice them especially when making a pumpkin or banana bread.
(A few chocolate or carob chips add some extra fun!)
Want to learn more about how to promote safe and healthy eating habits? Here are some great resources:
EatRight.org website by the Academy for Nutrition and Dietetics
- Trying new foods
- 6 Healthy Ways to Manage Weight for Sports
- Empower Your Grade-Schooler’s Snacking
- Looking to Reduce Your Family’s Added Sugar Intake? Here’s How
- Feeding Vegetarian and Vegan Infants and Toddlers
- Water: How much do kids need?
- Food tips for hiking and camping
- Do babies need extra water?
US Food and Drug Administration