Thanks to the outpouring of community support, St. Mary’s Healthcare System for Children’s new Patient Pavilion is now a beautiful place for children and their families
On September 27th, more than 500 supporters, patients, families and staff gathered for the grand opening of St. Mary’s new Patient Pavilion.
The event featured a short ceremony emceed by Fox TV personality Rosanna Scotto, an invocation by Deacon Mike Maroutsis of St. Mary’s and words of healing from Rabbi Meir Feldman of Temple Israel and Dr. Hafiz Rehman, Trustee and Past President, Muslim Center of Long Island. Elected officials Queens Borough President Helen Marshall and New York City Councilman Dan Halloran said a few words of inspiration about their long-time support of St. Mary’s Kids. Renowned singer Jill Gioia had the audience singing and clapping to some favorite songs.
The celebrations continued as St. Mary’s Kids were invited to enter their new home. There wasn’t a dry eye in the house as the procession went on with staff and Kids of all ages smiling from ear to ear. The evening went on with tours of the Hospital and food and wine tastings by various restaurants on each floor. Restaurants included Russo’s on the Bay, Wildwood BBQ, MitchMallows, Veranda Restaurant and Financier Patisserie. Also on each floor featured a host of entertainment such as the Berklee College of Music, Great Neck South High School Choir, Townsend Harris High School, Adrien Block Intermediate School 25 and Holy Cross High School.
Special thanks to the 111th Precinct, NYPD, Ace Party Rental and JPMorgan Global Wealth Management New Associates Program volunteers who spent some of their time hosting activities for St. Mary’s Kids and then a dance party in the new music environment.
Overlooking Little Neck Bay, the new 97 bed state-of-art-facility boasts enhanced delivery of patient care, a rehabilitation wing with expanded indoor and outdoor rehab space, community areas to foster healing and growth, family suites, and an overall ample environment for pediatric care.
Launched in 2008, the goal of the comprehensive 5-year campaign was to build a new Patient Pavilion and modernize the medical campus of St. Mary’s Hospital for Children, as well as sustain and enhance vital programs and services that improve the health and quality of life for our children.
Key highlights include:
- Patient Neighborhoods, a home-like environment that blends the best of children’s specialty hospital and home-like amenities for enhanced care–wireless technology for point of care charting, gasses at each bedside, alcoves for wheelchair/equipment storage, an interactive zone for patient/staff interaction, and a great room for informal dining and socialization. Based on best practices and evidence-based research, all four floors are designed the same to optimize efficient, safe care delivery.
- Family Suites, for overnight visitation and family education and reintegration skills prior to discharge.
- Rehabilitation Wing, enhanced indoor and outdoor space designed to accommodate multiple modalities of therapy, including state-of-the-art rehab equipment and endless pool for aquatic therapy. Contiguous outdoor space includes beautifully landscaped play areas that focus on different therapeutic goals and promote community reintegration complete with walking track, sidewalks, bus stop, and road signs.
- Exterior Entrance that includes a covered portico and ample room to accommodate ambulances, visitors, and community children arriving by bus.
- Redesigned Parking and Realigned Entrance, including the addition of 58 new parking spaces to reduce on street parking, improved drop off and turnaround designs for cars and deliveries to enhance traffic flow
For tours of the new Hospital or for more information, Please call 718-281-8890.